From: Craig Russell [mailto:craig@airdigitalnetwork.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 10:43 AM
To: carywinton@pctechhelp.net
Subject: Re: Apache2 on Debian "ScriptAlias" Directives

Cary Pembleton wrote:

> Thanks Matus,
>I really appreciate the reply to my post and the recommendations you
>have given me. The Manhattan Virtual Classroom configuration apparently
>needs this ScriptAlias Directive because of the way it "writes" to the web
site.
>Here is their suggested lines of configuration. Is there a better way
>to write this as you suggested using "options ExecCGI"?
> ScriptAlias /manhat-bin/      /home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x/bin/
>
>        AllowOverride None
>        Options +ExecCGI -Includes
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
>
>      ScriptAlias /manhat-sbin/     /home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x/sbin/
>

>        AllowOverride None
>        Options +ExecCGI -Includes
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
>
>      Alias       /manhat-images/   /home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x/images/
>
>          Options FollowSymLinks
>          AllowOverride None
>          Allow from all
>I changed the Manhattan VC configuration files to www-data "user" and
>"group" instead of changing Apache2. I believe this is a better move there.
>Thanks a lot. I know Microsoft products pretty well, but I have a long
>way to go with Linux.
>Thanks
>

>Cary Pembleton
>IT Consultant
>PC Tech Help, LLC
>32 Cove Lane
>Campbellsville, KY 42718
>(270) 789-0187 Office
>http://www.pctechhelp.net

ScriptAlias.

>ScriptAlias only defines where CGI's (and only CGI's) reside - you can
>alias it to different place than DocumentRoot. Also, if you put any
>file there, it will be handles as CGI - executed.
>

>>I also see in the appache2.conf file the "Group" and "User" have
>>changed from "www" to "www-data" anyone know what potential impact
>>this would have if it is changed back to "www"?
>>

>I'd say this was changed so only files readable by user/group www-data
>could be read by web server. I don't know what files are owned by
>user/group "www", but they probably should not be read by apache, or
>any process it executes...
>--
>Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
>Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
>Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
>Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)

A quick read of the Manhattan installation manual makes it appear that you
are missing some important lines in the config above.  Between the
Scriptalias line and AllowOverride lines I believe you need the following
lines

<Directory "/home/manhat/manhat-x.x.x/bin/">

and then after Allow from all you need
</Directory>

This repeats for all of the directories that are being defined.

I am also no Apache2 expert as I am still using Apache1.3 but that did jump
out at me.

Also, and forgive me if I am pointing out the obvious, but you did change
the manhat-x.x.x to the actual pathname?

Good luck,

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com