Re: Mozilla mplayer plugin setup question

2006. július 6. 16:55,
"Thomas H. George" <tom@tomgeorge.info>
-> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 06:37:12PM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> > 2006. július 5. 18:17,
> > "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info>
> > -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
> >
> > Hi Tom!
> >
> > > Using the mplayer plugin for mozilla I listen to a fm radio station on
> > > line.  The sound is fine but mplayer occupies a large gray window.
> > > When my daughter who is still wedded to windows listens to this station
> > > on line there is a continually changing light show in the window as the
> > > music plays.  This makes me think that somehow my setup is incomplete.

[...]
> > > I have mplayer installed as well as the mozilla plugin.  I studied the
> > > very extensive man page, copied /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to
> > > ~/.mplayer/config and experimented with editing this file.

[...]
> > > All I succeeded in doing was to stop mplayer.  Even with an unedited
> > > config file which has almost everything commented out mplayer would
> > > start, contact http://streamguys.us/wrti, show a bar indicating that
> > > the buffer was filling and then stop.
> > >
> > > For the moment I have deleted the config file and mplayer works as
> > > before.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a working version of the config file?
> >

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I normally start mplayer from mozilla by going to the www.wrti.org web
> site and clicking on WindowsMedia (they also offer RealMedia and MP3).
> This blanks out the wrti page with gray and displays the message,
> "connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us.  A bar at the bottom of the
> page shows the buffer filling and then the play starts.  This works
> fine but without the light show - just changing patterns and colors -
> which I don't really need.
Okay, I'm a little confused here :) I can see that in testing version 3.21 of
mplayerplug-in is packaged. Although I'm using 3.25 (from sources) I assume
they are working quite the same, and I really don't know what kind of light
show you are talking about. If no one else replies then I ask you to include
a small screenshot of that, or the link of the screenshot image. Neither the
mplayer nor the mplayerplug-in software contains such a feature, so I really
do not know what produces that. The stream plays fine for me too, and my
screen gets blanked with gray too (this is normal, this is mplayerplug-in).

> Out of curiosity I found mplayer.conf in /etc/mplayer and the opening
> paragraph said it should be placed in ~/.mplayer/config.  I copied it
> there and uncommented the line ao=alsa.  Starting mplayer proceeded
> exactly as described above until the buffer filled but then no sound and
> the message, "stopped" was displayed.
Maybe you don't have alsa enabled in your kernel, and you are using OSS. If
you are using oss and you want to use that option, you must put oss after ao=

[...]
tom@Dragon:~$
> fetchmailmuttfetchmailmuttmplayer
> http://wrti.streamgusy  ys.us MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.6 (C) 2000-2005
> MPlayer Team
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping:
> 1) Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE
>

> Failed to open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory (it should be readable
> by the user.) Playing http://wrti.streamguys.us.
> Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
> Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
> Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
> Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
> Server return 500:Internal Server Error
> Failed to parse header
> Trying default streaming for http protocol
>  Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
> Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
> Cache size set to 320 KBytes
> Connected to server: wrti.streamguys.us

Cache fill:  0.03% (104 bytes)

> Exiting... (End of file)
> tom@Dragon:~$
> Script done on Thu 06 Jul 2006 10:49:17 AM EDT

Okay, this seems normal to me, if you can actually hear the stream. None of
the above indicates that a light show is being displayed :)

Daniel

--
LeVA