Re: Mozilla mplayer plugin setup question

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 06:37:12PM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> 2006. július 5. 18:17,
> "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info>
> -> debian-user@lists.debian.org,:
>
> Hi Tom!
>
> > Using the mplayer plugin for mozilla I listen to a fm radio station on
> > line.  The sound is fine but mplayer occupies a large gray window.  When
> > my daughter who is still wedded to windows listens to this station on
> > line there is a continually changing light show in the window as the
> > music plays.  This makes me think that somehow my setup is incomplete.
> The "changing light show" means a "visualization plugin"? Is it something like
> that?
> Why do you think that your setup is incomplete? What behaviour are you
> expecting, and what do you get instead (ie. although it plays the channel
> fine, what is wrong with mplayer).
> >
> > I have mplayer installed as well as the mozilla plugin.  I studied the
> > very extensive man page, copied /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to
> > ~/.mplayer/config and experimented with editing this file.
> >
> What configuration variables catched your interest, what did you try to
> adjust?
> > All I succeeded in doing was to stop mplayer.  Even with an unedited
> > config file which has almost everything commented out mplayer would
> > start, contact http://streamguys.us/wrti, show a bar indicating that the
> > buffer was filling and then stop.
> >
> > For the moment I have deleted the config file and mplayer works as before.
> >
> > Does anyone have a working version of the config file?
> >
> > Tom George
> Please send more information, eg. mplayer command line output, edited config
> files, stream url etc...
>

> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I normally start mplayer from mozilla by going to the www.wrti.org web
site and clicking on WindowsMedia (they also offer RealMedia and MP3).
This blanks out the wrti page with gray and displays the message,
"connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us.  A bar at the bottom of the
page shows the buffer filling and then the play starts.  This works
fine but without the light show - just changing patterns and colors -
which I don't really need.

Out of curiosity I found mplayer.conf in /etc/mplayer and the opening
paragraph said it should be placed in ~/.mplayer/config.  I copied it
there and uncommented the line ao=alsa.  Starting mplayer proceeded
exactly as described above until the buffer filled but then no sound and
the message, "stopped" was displayed.

I checked the output of mplayer -ao help which does not include alsa so
I commented out the line ao=alsa and tried again.  Same result.

I also checked the output of mplayer -vo help but could find none of the
choices in my installed packages.  My box is testing with a 2.6.15
kernel.  There are numerous xserver-xorg-video-* video display drivers
installed including one for my ati video card.

Finally, I tried to start mplayer from a console and got the following
output:

Script started on Thu 06 Jul 2006 10:48:15 AM EDT
tom@Dragon:~$ muttfetchmailmuttfetchmailmv config mplayer.conf
tom@Dragon:~$ fetchmailmuttfetchmailmuttmplayer http://wrti.streamgusy  ys.us
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.6 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Failed to open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory (it should be readable by the user.)
Playing http://wrti.streamguys.us.
Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
Server return 500:Internal Server Error
Failed to parse header
Trying default streaming for http protocol
 Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: wrti.streamguys.us
Resolving wrti.streamguys.us for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wrti.streamguys.us[205.234.246.10]:80 ...
Cache size set to 320 KBytes
Connected to server: wrti.streamguys.us

Cache fill:  0.03% (104 bytes)

Exiting... (End of file)
tom@Dragon:~$
Script done on Thu 06 Jul 2006 10:49:17 AM EDT

Tom George