Re: Xorg+CPU+Temperature

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 15:05:22 +0300, gustavo halperin wrote:
> Hello
>
> Please help me, My problem is when I leave the Laptop ON but with the
> screen close for a few hours. After a few hours when I open the screen
> the temperature is around the 65 C when the normal temperature is around
> the 47~49. If I run 'atop' I also see that Xorg is using 99% of the cpu,
> see below:
>   PID  SYSCPU  USRCPU  VGROW  RGROW USERNAME NTHRD STATUS S  CPU
> CMD     1/21
> 5346   475m14s   565m38s    294.6M    157.8M
> root                        1/L         N--  S   99%  Xorg
>
> then after a few minutes of use, the "cpu use" down again to something
> between 0~16% and the temp to something around the 47~51 C.
> What is the problem? Why it is happens ??
> By the way I haven't any screen server.

Maybe the problem is simply that your particular laptop is not designed
to be powered on with the cover closed for extended periods of time. The
behavior of Xorg might be a symptom of the fact that you are cooking
your CPU.

http://techtalk.umn.edu/questions/laptopoverheating.shtml

If you want your laptop to suspend to ram/disk when the cover is closed:
You have to configure that yourself and it is not always easy to
achieve.

--
Regards,
          Florian