Re: locale and font alias

T(mlist4suntong@yahoo.com) is reported to have said:
> [sent > 6 hours ago, resending]
>
> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:51:44 -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
>
> >> My system comes with default locale not English. How can set the
> >> default locale to English?
> >
> > ~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales  	#As a User ~$ dpkg-reconfigure
> > locales #As Root
>
> thanks for the clear and detailed instruction. Having done it, the
> x-window font problem still exists:
>
> >>  Fatal server error:
> >>  could not open default font 'fixed';
> >>
> >> How can I fix that?
> >>
> >> Note, remove and re-install xfonts-base didn't help.
>
> > If you want to use Xfree86 (Default on "Sarge") make sure you have
> > atleast these
>
> I have all the required.
>
> $ dpkg --get-selections | grep -E 'xserver|x-window|xfonts'
> x-window-system-core                            install xfonts-100dpi
>                              install xfonts-75dpi
>           install xfonts-artwiz                                   install
> xfonts-base                                     install
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-75dpi                     install
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-misc                      install xfonts-encodings
>                              install xfonts-intl-european
>           install xfonts-konsole                                  install
> xfonts-scalable                                 install xfonts-terminus
>                              install xfonts-utils
>           install xserver-common                                  install
> xserver-xorg                                    install
>
> > Here's some Font entries in my Sarge XF86Config-4 file; [...] Section
> > "Files"
>
> Here is mine, (for etch, from /etc/X11/xorg.conf):
>
> -----------------------
>         RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" ModulePath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi" FontPath
>         "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" FontPath
>         "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/western" FontPath
>         "/usr/share/fonts/ttf/decoratives" FontPath
>         "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera" FontPath
>         "/usr/share/fonts/latex-ttf-fonts"
> -----------------------
>
> Relevant info in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

 Ia m also running x.org in etch.  Had the same problem.

locate the 75dpi directories on you current system.  On mine
it shows:
VT1 root-3-ETCH:~# cds 75dpi
     1  /etc/X11/fonts/X11R7/75dpi
     2  /usr/share/doc/xfonts-75dpi
     3  /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi
Number:

Change the old (obsolete) X11R6 paths to the new xorg paths and
your troubles should be gone.

Note:  I did not find some of the old fonts, CID & Speedo, but
don't notice any difference here.

Wayne