Re: apt-get pinning ? - Sarge / Stable - only install certain/specific packages from "testing"

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 04:00:09PM -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:

[ Hi -- you wouldn't believe the nightmare I just went through these last
couple of days -- my keyboard is possessed by Linda Blair and the Stepford
Wives, as well as being in need of an Exorcism ...I think I'll just take it out
back for a little target practice, and end it's miserable existence ;-) -- Long
story short: I _finally_ went out and got another keyboard. ]

> > > no, its says it will REMOVE your kernel, as in you'll have no kernel
> > > when its down.
> >
> > Understood and THANKS! ....Warning heeded!
> > But why/what are the items in parentheses there for ??
> > Is it telling me that I would _need_ those versions listed in parentheses,
in
> > order to fufill dependencies...or what ?? The versions listed are NEWER
than
> > those - an example is the "initrd-tools" line;
>

> I honestly don't know except that it won't be upgraded to that
> version. That is likely a reference to the actual deb file it is
> removing by removing that package.

hmmm.....I think all the *(.....Debian:testing)* references indicate otherwise
- but it's anyone's guess...and yours are better than mine ;-)
I don't think i have ANY 'testing' pkgs installed.

> > 	Inst module-init-tools [3.2-pre1-2] (3.2.2-3 Debian:testing)
> >
> > hmmm...something's fishy here

Note - the above comments

> > I see - but does it not know that One _needs_ a Kernel-image ??
>
> with great freedom comes great responsibility. the apt system has no
> way of knowing what your intentions are or whether you have another
> kernel floating around. Maybe there should be some sanity check if the
> running kernel is the same as one to be removed, but who knows. And I
> suppose, once you're running, you don't strictly NEED a kernel
> anymore, provided you don't reboot...

ahh...
Just like the car battery - once the car is running, the altenator takes over
-- if one could keep the engine running indefinitely, no need for a battery to
spin the starter motor in order to crank the flywheel ;-)

> okay, sorry.

No,no - my bad, and my apologies indeed ;-)

> You know, its a lot of fun, this process of learning a new system and
> nothing is better than learning by doing. trial and error is the best
> tool, provided you don't totally bork something and end up giving up
> in frustration.

Problem is: I'm extremely good at breaking things ;-)
(See my intro statement)

> > > maybe backports has a copy for you?
> >
> > Do I understand correctly about "backports" -- it's basically a
"customized"
> > kernel ?
>
> backporting is when a newer version of a package is compiled for an
> older system. I don't run sarge so others can chime in here, but
> typically I think its used for running a new kernel within stable to
> get some bit of hardware support that might be missing in the stock
> kernels. Also, some of the rapidly moving targets (I see a lot about
> backports of OpenOffice.org) have improved greatly since sarge came
> out making the newer versions highly desirable within the sarge/stable
> context.

> > I originally started this thread when I came across this URL link to;
> > <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/hardware/!INDEX.html>

[ self-correction ]
I didn't actually start the thread with that URL, but I _did_ post it in a
later post ]
[ /self-correction ]

> huh? I get some spamish meta search engine thing.

??? Wow .. I think I may steer clear of any of that -- Perhapos someone else
can confirm the munging ??? Try the Top level only -> ibiblio.org if you are
feeling exploratory ;-)

> so just out of curiosity, why do you need/want a newer version of
> hdparm? is there some new functionality that you can't get from the
> sarge version?

Simple;
Here's some text of the revisions/updates to the app 'hdparm'
(I previously pasted this info into one of my earlier posts) .

===============================
 Begin4
 Title:          hdparm
 Version:        6.6
 Entered-date:   2006-03-07
                 v6.6 fix build on Redhat/Fedora
                 v6.5 fix -I bugs introduced in v6.4
                 v6.4 major update for -I, bug fix for -C
                 v6.3 report ATA revisions > 7
                 v6.2 major rework of ATA Security Commands
                 v6.1 bug fix for BLKGETSIZE
 [...]
 ===============================

Note the bug fixes to the -I  and -C options -- that's why ;-)

Now -- I'm having a heck of a hard time trying to find that info from either
the Official Debian site <http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/hdparm>
and/or the Developer's site; <http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hdparm.html> ...
go figure

> > Hey -- atleast you stopped this sometimes overly cavalier, wreakless man
from
> > acting too boldly ......and driving off the cliff ;-)
>
> never be afraid to drive over a cliff. the worst that can happen is
> you'll land at the bottom, anything other than that involces some kind
> of flying :)

I'm not scared of Flying -- I like to fly. It seems what worries ppl most, is
what can happen while they're flying --  all of a sudden they stop flying, and
start falling instead ;-)

Thanks for all your effort/support

Regards