Re: Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

> At 1151942614 past the epoch, Arvind Marathe wrote:
>> said the 'libc.so.6' does not exist. So i transferred the file from a
>                  ^^
>> chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libc.s0.6: file too
short
>                                                           ^^
> I'm guessing you've hand copied these down. Just to clarify, was it
/lib/libc.so.6 in both cases?

Yes i used /lib/libc.s0.6 from fedora to /lib directory in debian...i used
ftp. And 's0' above is a typo...it should be 'so'

>> I have some data on the hard disks which is not backed up
>> so is there an easy way out other than reinstalling
>> debian?
>
> Using a livecd would let you get at your data. Knoppix and
> Ubuntu are two popular debian-based ones.
>
>> Now i was planning to copy /lib/libc.so.6 on DVD to the
>> /lib directory in root filesystem. So i did:
>
> I'm not sure you will be able to find the correct libc.so.6
> on the installation DVD in an unpacked format. I was under
> the impression that most of the tools used a different libc
> to conserve space. However I do spot
> 'libc6-udeb_2.3.2.ds1-20_i386.udeb' on the DVD, so that
> might be unpacked at some point.
>
> If you can get ahold of the libc .deb file (it's
> ./pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-22_i386.deb but I think
> there are newer ones at security.debian.org); you could
> unpack it into a temporary area when running a live CD and
> copy the .so file across to your hard disk. I'd then suggest
> apt-get update/upgrading and maybe reinstalling the .deb
> proper once the machine boots properly.

Done...i used a knoppix live CD, mounted the root filesystem and could
copy the libc.so.6 from the CD...thanks a lot.

Regards,
Arvind