Re: Bash socket /dev/tcp

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
How can I obtain /dev/tcp (and /dev/udp) onto debian? Bash seems
compiled without socket support. Why?

Could you elaborate? I think that you are confusing UNIX domain sockets with network sockets.

-Roberto

He is probably talking about this feature of Bash from "man bash":
 Bash handles several filenames specially when they are used in redirec-
 tions, as described in the following table:
        [...]
        /dev/tcp/host/port
               If host is a valid hostname or Internet address, and port
               is an integer port number or service name, bash  attempts
               to open a TCP connection to the corresponding socket.
        /dev/udp/host/port
               If host is a valid hostname or Internet address, and port
               is an integer port number or service name, bash  attempts
               to open a UDP connection to the corresponding socket.