Re: pulling my hair: doodle 0.6.5-3 update / doodled unstoppable

On Saturday 01 July 2006 11:14, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 09:24:08 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > On Monday 26 June 2006 16:35, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > What exactly happens now if you try to start the doodle daemon again
> > > yourself? (Starting it again should generate a new PID file.)
> >
> > That is the weird thing, which I fail to understand; there is no PID
> > file  /var/run/doodled.pid when doodled is acrually running. As I said
> > that is certainly the problem for the update script which cannot stop
> > doodled with "/etc/init.d/doodled stop"
>
> Did you make any changes to /etc/init.d/doodled or to
> /etc/default/doodle,
None; I avoid changes as long as I don't understand the stuff fully.

> is your installation of the "doodle" package
> broken?
I cannot say this for sure. Both doodle-0.6.5-1 and doodled-0.6.5-1 worked so
far. I realized only a problem when attempting to update to 0.6.5-3

> Otherwise you might have found a new bug in the doodled package.

[snippety-snip]

> Maybe the problem is fixed in version 0.6.5-3 of the package. You can
> try to castrate the pre-removal script and force the upgrade. For this
> you have to edit the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/doodled.prerm.
> Find the line
>
>                 invoke-rc.d doodled stop || exit $?
>
> and change it to
>
>                 /bin/true || exit $?
>
> This should get rid of the above error and will hopefully allow the
> upgrade to complete. (Kill all doodled processes yourself before you try
> the upgrade again.) The modified prerm script will then be replaced by
> the one from the new version of the package anyway.

This worked for me!

> --
> Regards,
>           Florian

You saved me from becoming bald ;-)
The installation went through now without errors and doodled was started.
What I still do not understand is why I don't have /var/run/doodled.pid ...
well ...

Thank you very much indeed and kind regards, Eike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519