Re: pulling my hair: doodle 0.6.5-3 update / doodled unstoppable

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 09:24:08 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> On Monday 26 June 2006 16:35, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > What exactly happens now if you try to start the doodle daemon again
> > yourself? (Starting it again should generate a new PID file.)
>
> That is the weird thing, which I fail to understand; there is no PID
> file  /var/run/doodled.pid when doodled is acrually running. As I said that
> is certainly the problem for the update script which cannot stop doodled
> with "/etc/init.d/doodled stop"

Did you make any changes to /etc/init.d/doodled or to
/etc/default/doodle, is your installation of the "doodle" package
broken? Otherwise you might have found a new bug in the doodled package.

> > What is the exact error message when you attempt to (de)install or
> > upgrade?
> >

> Preparing to replace doodled 0.6.5-1 (using .../doodled_0.6.5-3_i386.deb) ...
> Stopping doodle daemon: invoke-rc.d: initscript doodled, action "stop" failed.
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> Stopping doodle daemon: invoke-rc.d: initscript doodled, action "stop" failed.
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/doodled_0.6.5-3_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> Starting doodle daemon: doodled.
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/doodled_0.6.5-3_i386.deb
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

Maybe the problem is fixed in version 0.6.5-3 of the package. You can
try to castrate the pre-removal script and force the upgrade. For this
you have to edit the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/doodled.prerm.
Find the line

                invoke-rc.d doodled stop || exit $?

and change it to

                /bin/true || exit $?

This should get rid of the above error and will hopefully allow the
upgrade to complete. (Kill all doodled processes yourself before you try
the upgrade again.) The modified prerm script will then be replaced by
the one from the new version of the package anyway.

--
Regards,
          Florian