crontab permissions

hey gang, I'm curious what others have for permissions on their
crontab files. I am unable to edit mine as a regular user:

andrew@basement:$ crontab -e
crontabs/andrew: Permission denied

and must do:

andrew@basement:$ sudo crontab -u andrew -e

according to man crontab:

If  the /etc/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in
order to be allowed to use this command.  If the /etc/cron.allow  file
does  not  exist  but the /etc/cron.deny file does exist, then you must
not be listed in the /etc/cron.deny file in order to use this command.
If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent con-
figuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use  this
command,  or  all  users will be able to use this command. For standard
Debian systems, all users may use this command.

I have neither /etc/cron.allow or .deny:

andrew@basement:$ ls /etc | grep cron.
cron.d
cron.daily
cron.hourly
cron.monthly
crontab
cron.weekly
cvs-cron.conf

so I can only assume its a permissions issue. I must have done
something with my crontab as root a long time ago and then it messed
with the permissions. here is my current permissions for both the
crontab files and directory

andrew@basement:~$ ls -l /var/spool/cron/
total 3.0K
drwx-wx--T 2 root   crontab 1.0K 2006-07-01 09:05 crontabs

andrew@basement:~$ sudo ls -l /var/spool/cron/crontabs
Password:
total 2
-rw------- 1 andrew root 498 2006-07-01 09:05 andrew
-rw------- 1 root   root 390 2006-06-27 16:21 root

can someone provide their permissions, group and owner settings or
perhaps some other insight?