debian-printing mailinglist charter

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> End user help is part of the list description, though is not its
> primary purpose:
>
> "Discussion of issues related to printing on Debian systems. This
> covers all aspects of printing, from spoolers, to RIPs and printer
> drivers. The list is used for coordination of development, integration
> and bugfixing of printing packages between package maintainers. User
> printing and printing setup questions are also on topic."

Well, I see absolutely no reason why we should have another list for user
support: we already have the various debian-user-* lists for that, and
chances are the users will get help faster there.  There are, for starters,
a lot more developers AND users subscribed to the general debian-user-*
lists, and printing is a general interest topic.

That's why I prefer that regular user support be usually done through
debian-user-*.  It is not like debian-user traffic is so high that it is
causing requests for help on printing to be ignored.  And it is certaily not
like requests for help on printing are so many that they are causing trouble
for the debian-user mailing lists.

If a request is ignored on debian-user, it would probably have been ignored
on debian-printing as well, anyway.  I am not advicating that regular user
help requests in debian-printing go unanswered, or anything like that.  But
IMO debian-printing should not be pointed to users as "the place where to
get general help on printing".

> report/package status subscriptions for the list to make it a bit more
> user-friendly, but I haven't made any changes yet.  What do you think?

I would like the debian-printing list to continue receiving all bug reports:
it does help us to coordinate with each other, and it let us know what is
happening to the other packages.  AFAIK, it was one of the primary reasons
the list was created in the first place, after all (the other primary reason
being for team-maintainership of printing-related packages, again AFAIK).

Personally, I don't really ever had much use for the rest of the PTS mail
that hits debian-printing.  But it is really minor traffic when compared to
the BTS mails, so it is probably best to just keep them coming, they might
be very useful one of these days.

  Henrique Holschuh