pinpointing the cause of a full lockup: denemo under KDE

Hi, I've been interested in running denemo and have KDE 3.5.3 but not Gnome installed on a PII-266 with 440LX chip set and SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 model 0220 sound card. I have aplaymidi set-up (with some difficulty, as the Sid version of denemo has a bug that prevents command line options for the external MIDI player) and outside denemo aplaymidi performs without problem.

However, when using denemo to play back a score longer than a few bars, and sometimes triggered by running another program (like "aptitude -u"), the hard disk light comes on and the machine is completely locked up to the Big Red Switch stage. The same problem occurs with denemo built from the current CVS source.

Are there any guides on how to debug a full machine lock-up on GNU/Linux?

I may need to download a few different kernels and window managers to see if I can get playback without lock-up, but beyond that, I have little idea on what to try.

Arthur.