Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:

> Please see the previous email about the guy whose dad was a civil
> engineer in the USAF (sorry I forget who it was).  *That* is how
> government works.

I have heard similar stories, not only from within the US.  But, is
this the way a government *has* to work?

> It is bureaucratic.  It does things that do not make sense to any
> rational person.  It does things that would be considered patently
> illegal if done by a private citizen or private business.

Maybe not done by a private business but within.  Departments within
larger private businesses sometimes have the same problem.  The issue
is not the fact that it is a government organization it is its size.
The farther away and the less directly connnected a person is who
decides over a budget the worse it gets.  But, is there no way to
provide incentives to a person within a government organization to
make sensible decisions?

Matthias