Re: minimum APM kernel settings to shut off power?

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 19:25:38 +0200, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are lots of options related to power management in the kernel
> config, some/most/all of them seem the be mostly useful for laptops.
>
> The only power management feature I would like to have is turning off
> the power on shutdown/halt. What are the minimum options I have to set
> in the kernel (2.6.16-2) config to get only that?

Having the apm module should be enough (unless you want to use ACPI).
You might have to modprobe it manually or add it to /etc/modules. If
your power-off does not work, check with "lsmod | grep apm" if the
module is really loaded.

If it does not work even with the APM module loaded, you might have to
enable CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF. Quoting from the help text for
this option:

Use real mode APM BIOS calls to switch off the computer. This is
a work-around for a number of buggy BIOSes. Switch this option on if
your computer crashes instead of powering off properly.

--
Regards,
          Florian