Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:
> Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> writes:
>

>>For $200, you can get the Robinson Curriculum, a complete K-12 home
>>study kit, except math books. Math books are $50 each, new, approx
>>one per year depending on student speed and aptitude of course.
>>
>>So even at the slowest, full 13 years worth of math books and the rest
>>of it, is $850. Total. And you get to resell or reuse the math books.
>

> How do you do that when you have to go to work?

How do you do it *now* when you have to go to work?

>>The public schools in the United States spend MORE THAN $10,000 (TEN
>>THOUSAND DOLLARS) per student EACH YEAR, EVERY YEAR, and it's only
>>going up.
>

> Why is that so?  Just because it is a public school?  Why is a public
> school by definition so different from a private school?  Is there no
> way of making a public school more (cost-)efficient?

No.  That is the point.  By definition, government has no incentive to
be efficient.  If it did, half the problems (number pulled from my hat)
that exist in American government would likely cease to exist.  If
schools were run more like the Postal Service, that would be a step in
the right direction.  But wait, we actually have to *pay* postage.  So
if people want to continue to be able to send their kids to school for
"free," there is no way to make it efficient.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto