Re: new to debian but having installation problems

On 12/30/2006 11:05 PM, Mike Myers wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to debian, but not to linux.  I've been using Gentoo for the past 6
years or so, but I'm getting tired of having to make sure any new updates
aren't going to destroy my systems.  I'm just wanting a system I can use
instead of babysit.  So I was going to try debian out because of apt-get,
and the fact that it has releases instead of having major updates released
on live systems.

So anyways, I grabbed the netinst install cd and boot to it, only to find
out that it can't find my e1000 ethernet card...?  Is there some kind of
known problem with this card and the netinst cd or something?  I can use it
without any problems in Gentoo and windows.

Any help would be appreciated!

My advice, part 1: See if the e1000 is recognized when you boot with the linux26 boot option. That uses a more recent kernel that recognizes a little more hardware.

My advice, part 2: Use Etch. Etch is *far* more up-to-date than Sarge, and Etch will become the new "Stable" soon, and Etch certainly accepts more hardware than Sarge.

--
paduille.4060.mumia.w@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/