Re: Upgrading postgresql-8.0 to 8.1

David Gaudine wrote:
I use postgresql 8.0, but since this is "local/obsolete" in Etch I want to
upgrade to 8.1.  I've already done this on a backup system, but I got a
few warnings so I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I do it on
my main system.

Here's what I did that seemed to work but gave some of warnings;
- Install postgresql-8.1 and packages that it depends on
- Stop the 8.1 server (I don't remember if I stopped the 8.0 server)
- pg_dropcluster 8.1 main
- pg_upgradecluster 8.1 main
- start the 8.1 server

Is there a better way?

David

I'm far from guru but one method that might be 'safe' would be to use pgdump to just dump the database, stop 8.0 and load everything into 8.1.

If anything goes wrong, you have all the data in a file so you can at least fix it. I would expect this to be issues with creation of tables/databases at most and not something you have to fix on every line.