Re: can't see wireless card

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 07:20:23 -0800, Avishai wrote:

> > I was able to use the module-assistant package to build and install the rt2500
> > drivers. module-assistant list-available found several RaLink chipsets you
> > could try.
> >

> Thanx for replying, first of all. I didn't have any trouble compiling
> the rt2500-source package using module-assistant. I also inserted the
> resulting rt2500 module to /etc/modules, and it seems to be running by
> inspecting lsmod. Where do I go from here? dmesg doesn't say anything
> about rt2500, wireless or anything related. lspci detects the card, but
> as an unknown device. Am I missing some step, so that the hardware is
> not detected properly? I'm using kernel 2.6.11-something.

It seems that "RaLink device 0301" means this:

1814  RaLink

      0301  RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
            1186 3c08  DWL-G630 Rev E
            1186 3c09  DWL-G510 Rev C
            1737 0055  WMP54G ver 4.1

(You can find this information at http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids
 or in /usr/share/misc/pci.ids if you use the "update-pciids" command
 from the "pciutils" package.)

The first Google result for "RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI" is:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-install-and-configure-dlink-dwl-g-520-wireless-lan-pci-card.html

That looks like you will need the "rt61" module for this card. I cannot
find the source for this module with module-assistant, so you will
probably have to compile it manually. You might also have to upgrade to
a newer kernel. (The instructions at the URL given above mention version
2.6.15.)

--
Regards,
          Florian