Re: digital pictures: reordering and renaming (in a different way)

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a few hundred digital pictures scanned from negatives. Now when
> the negatives were scanned, the ordering was kind of lost. So now I have
> these sequential digital image files but their content is out of order.
>
> I am looking for an application that will do the following:
> 1. Out of all the image files in a folder in konqueror (or in nautilus),
> it allows me to 'move' the images, in the folder view, to different
> places in the window. Basically, I am reording some of the files by
> moving them with the mouse.
> 2. Then, it allows me to select some files and let me rename all of
> those selected files sequentially in the order that they appear in the
> folder view. Something like a batch mode.
>
> Basically, the above method will allow me to 'move' the image files in
> the folder view to their new 'place' in the order I have in mind. Once
> that is done, then a batch command allows me to rename the selected
> files sequentially. The second step is easily done with digikam. But
> what about the first one?
>
> Hope I have explained this clearly enough. Suggestions? Advice? If push
> comes to shove, I can always sit on a weekend and manually renumber the
> images.
>
> thanks,
> ->HS

Google's Picasa 2 allows you to reorder photos with drag-and-drop and
batch renaming using the new ordering of the photos as basis for the
filename. Unfortunately it is based on wine, but they are nice enough to
supply a nice deb package.

Ronald