Re: update messages

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 04:40 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> I am trying to get up the courage to update my debian etch system
> after a few months of neglecting to do so, but am dreading the thought of
> some mishap leaving the system unusable.
>
> The system was installed back in April, and is on a Fujitsu P7120, and
> aptitude produces quite a long list of things it wants to delete and
> upgrade, so I want to be cautious about telling it to go ahead.
>
> The first thing that gives me cause for concern is that the output
> resulting from a 'apt-get update' does not look very clean:
>  Get:1 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release.gpg [189B]
>  Get:2 http://mirror.ox.ac.uk etch Release.gpg [378B]
>  Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release
>  Hit http://mirror.ox.ac.uk etch Release
>  Err http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release
>
>  Get:3 http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release [5560B]
>  Hit http://mirror.ox.ac.uk etch/main Packages
>  Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release
>  Hit http://mirror.ox.ac.uk etch/main Sources
>  Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages
>  Get:4 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
>  Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
>  Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
>  Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources
>  Fetched 5751B in 0s (7515B/s)
>  Reading package lists... Done
>  W: There are no public key available for the following key IDs:
>  A70DAF536070D3A1
>  W: GPG error: http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch Release: The following signa
>  tures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07
>  DC563D1F41B907
>  W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
>
> Are any of these messages things that should concern me? Why the 'Err',
> 'Ign' and 'W:' messages?
>
> My sources.list looks like this:
>  deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ etch main
>  deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ etch main
>  deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
>  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
>  deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
>
> The multimedia web site only mentions
> 	deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
> for sources - nothing specifically for Etch. Is it safe/desireble
> to add that to my sources list?
>
> I have tried adding the PGP key for the multimedia packages as
> per the instructions on the web site, but get:
>  digbyt@fujitsu:~$ gpg --keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907
>  gpg: requesting key 1F41B907 from hkp server wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net
>  gpg: keyserver timed out
>  gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error
>
> One other thing that I am unsure about is that aptitude reports a number
> of packages being 'held back'. I havn't intentionally asked for this,
> could it have occured automatically or have I unintentionally done
> something when initially learning to use aptitude?
>
> Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated.

install the "debian-keyring" and "debian-archive-keyring"

That should take care of your issue. Once you do that, the keys will be
in place and no W: (warnings) will be around.

Ign just means Ignore. Since the Release file isn't critical for now, it
is no big deal.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is