Re: Problems booting

Jaume Alonso wrote:
Hello,

I'm a Debian testing user. A few days ago I recompiled the kernel (2.6.18) and I installed it in the "Debian way" (by creating a .deb package of the kernel and installing it). But I've got a problem: when I boot the system with the new kernel, appears a lot of times the message "modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/modules.dep". When it stops, the system continues booting normally, then it goes into the X and KDE and I have no problems then, all works perfectly.

I've tried to do "modprobe -l" and I get the list of the modules located in that folder (/lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/). And I've checked with konqueror that the folder exists and has things inside, including the file "modules.dep".

Any idea to solve that?

Thanks in advance
Hi, Jaume.

I have never installed kernel the "Debian way", but anyway this message looks strange to me. Maybe you changed permissions on that file somehow. Or it is damaged. Open terminal, su to root and type

chown root:root /lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/modules.dep
chmod 644 /lib/modules/2.6.18-jaume/modules.dep
depmod -a