Re: lvm vs traditional partitioning

On Friday 22 December 2006 15:09, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> I heard lvm can be used to have partitions whose sizes can be changed
> over time in non-destructive way as far as the data is concerned.
> 1) Does anyone use this or is it still in an experimental state?

It's very stable and is used all over on real production systems.

> 2) Are there any good websites which compare lvm against traditional
> partitioning? Like what are the advantages, disadvantages of each etc.,

Other than some issues with needing legacy support for booting and a very
slight increase in complexity, there are really no disadvantages. The etch
installer will configure LVM for you pretty automatically.

> 3) Are there any new ways to have flexible partitions in one hard drive
> other than lvm?

Yes, but LVM is the most stable and standard way that I know of.

As others have mentioned, consult a recent LVM HOWTO for more general
information. I would be happy to personally answer and specific questions
you may have, although please keep the list CC'd.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>