Hal and udev with kernel 2.6.18 no longer works

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have a sarge
installation with a kernel I compiled using kernel-package from
back-ports. The default 2.6 kernel from sarge and the ones from
kernel.org up to 2.6.16 seem to work with auto-detecting and
auto-mounting removable media like flash disk and cdroms. However,
newer kernels (2.6.18 and up) no longer work with hald although doing
dmesg tells me that the kernel is able to detect the devices.

Has there been a change in the recent kernels which made them no
longer work with the udev and hald packages in sarge?

TIA

Rage Callao