Etch-install, monitor says: "no support" (solved)

Hello List.

Two days ago I started a floppy-net-install of Etch.
All went well exept that the lcd-monitor only showed "no support".
Apparently X itself started up fine.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 brought me in a console where I could peek in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
After a long time I found out that the problem was that this monitor does
not support "DDC" ( = Display Data Channel ).

Repeatedly did "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", where there is an
opportunity to unselect DDC. But it still did not work.

Finally this solved it: in xorg.conf, section "Device", add:

	Option "NoDDC" "true"

After that I could restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and it came up
instantly in the desired resolution.

Hope this helps somebody.

//---Jasper.