Re: unscientific debian users world survey

Ken Irving wrote:
I've been messing around with timestamps and timezones lately, and was
curious to see how posts to debian users might be distributed around
the globe, as indicated in the message timestamp.

My local archive of the du list is far from complete, as I tend to delete a lot of stuff and it only goes back about 3 years, with about
8000 messages currently stored.

    $ grep ^Date: ~/Mail/list/debian/user | \
      perl -ne 'print "$1\n" if m/([+-][01]\d\d\d)/' | \
      sort -n | uniq -c
      1 -1200
     72 -0900
    791 -0800
    875 -0700
    806 -0600
   1481 -0500
    944 -0400
     56 -0300
     45 -0200
     31 -0000
    499 +0000
   1082 +0100
    736 +0200
     52 +0300
      4 +0400
     43 +0530
      1 +0545
      9 +0700
    150 +0800
     49 +0900
      9 +0930
    101 +1000
      5 +1030
     93 +1100
     16 +1200
     20 +1300

This simplistic view ignores daylight savings effects and any number of
other complicating factors, but I think it gives a crude hint at the span
of debian users around the world.

I'd like to be able to extend the pipe to maybe plot a bar chart against
a world map, but that'll have to wait.

Nicely done. Good idea!

Hugo