Re: LAN problem with Etch (and konqueror resolved)

On Monday 11 December 2006 01:00, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 00:16, Marko Randjelovic wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Sorry for my ignorance. I have the zeroconf package installed. what is
> > > the syntax needed to purge it?
> > >
> > > Nigel
> >
> > It should be
> >
> > apt-get --purge remove zeroconf
>
> Thanks to Marko, and Florian. Purging zeroconf has just reverted
> Gkrellmip's display to 192.168.0.8.
>
> I still have a problem with Konqueror, that can no longer access the
> Internet. Something to do with Konqueror not being able to access the
> gateway. Konsole is ok, and so are Opera, and Firefox. I've probably
> screwed up something when messing with KDE's control centres network
> connections/route.
>
> That can wait until tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys.
>
> Nigel.

I havn't seen any other posts on the list for this problem with Konqueror not
being able to access the gateway, but this what I found.

After some recent Etch updates the boot up messages said
that /etc/network/options was deprecated, and to read the README  for
netbase, which is in /usr/share/doc/netbase/README.Debian. Did this, and
added the following to /etc/sysctl.conf. See below.

This file is deprecated, and if present should be replaced by values
in /etc/sysctl.conf or equivalent custom scripts.
The relevant sysctl values are:

ip_forward=yes:   net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
spoofprotect=yes: net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
                  net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
syncookies=yes:   net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1

So I did that, and renamed the options file in /etc/network/options.

I admit that trying to resolve the problem that turned out to be a zeroconfig
one, I'd messed with network settings, but my original user was still able to
access the Internet with Opera, and Firefox, and no problems getting updates
via the CLI and apt-get, nor was there any problem using KDE's superuser
filer manager in webbrowsing mode accessing the Internet. Only Konqueror
could not access the net.

Someone on the KDE list suggested creating a new user, so I did that, and now
Konqueror works ok.

thinking about this a bit, and skipping some trial and error stuff I comment
out the new lines in /etc/sysctl.conf, and rename /etc/network/options
to /etc/network/options. Now logged into the new user Konqueror cannot access
the net. so I again rename /etc/network/options
to /etc/network/options-deprecated, and uncomment the 4 lines
in /etc/sysctl.conf. Now logging into the new user Konqueror again works ok
in accessing the Internet.

Still no joy with Konqueror with the original user.

As a last resort, and skipping some more stuff I tried, I rename .kde while
logged out from the original user, then log back in to original user which
creates a new .kde. Icons are all over the place, but Konqueror now accesses
the Internet ok.

I don't really know what caused the Konqueror problem for the original user,
but seems to have something to do with moving /etc/network/options entries
to /etc/sysctl.conf.

I havn't been on the Debian list long, but has anyone else seen anything like
this?

Nigel.