Re: [OT] CVS vs. SVN

David Christensen writes:

> I've been using CVS (and RCS before it) for several years new.  I've
> also looked at switched to SVN, but seem to recall that there was an SVN
> "feature" whereby SVN applied to same version number to all files in the
> project (repository?) whenever you checked something in.

Yes, SVN has a global revision number[1].

However it has also commit revision numbers.  The commit revision
numbers do not apply to files, but to commits (in SVN commits are
atomic operations).

> I prefer a more traditional scheme whereby version numbers are
> managed on a per-file basis, and only change when the file changes.

You don't have those in SVN. you have version numbers on a per-commit
basis (and the global revision number (on a per-repository basis)).

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#globalrev

--
-- Jhair