Re: Changing cable modum to ADSL modum.

On Saturday 16 December 2006 13:09, John C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a simple way for a windows-only user to change a
> computer's network settings from a cable modem to an ADSL modem.
>
> I was under the impression that my granddaughter, who lives
> hundreds of miles from me, had a cable ISP. In an attempt to
> educate the next generation, I've sent her a computer fully
> loaded and configured with Etch.  I used a netinstall through my
> home system's router (cable modem) with a manual IP
> address....not DHCP.
>
> Oooops... I was wrong, their network connnection is through a
> ADSL modem.
>
> I suspect that she could make the change using the Network
> administration tool of the Gnome network Settings, but since I'm
> not familiar with ADSL or with that tool, I'd rather not have her
> try without some confirmation.
>
> If not that tool, perhaps dpkg-reconfigure <something> ?
>
> I know that on my box, the following files at least need to
> change. Any others?
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/networks
> /etc/networks/interfaces
>
> I also suspect that I'll have to have her do a dpkg install of
> pppoe for the network administration tool to work.  Is that true?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> John Carline
If she's got an ADSL Router, then you're in luck as all you would need to do
is to switch to DHCP and connect to the router as almost all ADSL routers
comes with DCHP server installed and turned on in their default state.

So before doing any changes, I would try to find out what kind of a ADSL
modem/router she has.
Also I saw that yo have stated that they have another PC as a primary PC and I
suppose its on Windows ? If so its even easier to see how that one connects
with the ADSL modem/router and figure out what kind of a system they have.

After you get these information, you can think up of a way to get the Debian
box connected.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR:
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break