Problems with phpbb and mysql vi dselect

Title: Problems with phpbb and mysql vi dselect

Hello,

I have dselected phpbb2 and mysql. The database is done and works. When I go to http://mywebsite.com/phpbb the web page I get:

The database module for the database you are using, MySQL, is not available. Please (re)install the php4-mysql package or if it's already installed, add extension=mysql.so to the relevant /etc/php//php.ini and restart the webserver if appropriate.

I went to /etc/php4/apache/php.ini and removed the uncommented the section where it talks about Dynamic Extensions and extension=mysql.so. Then I restarted apache. Apache restarts with the following error:

Starting web server: apache-perlPHP Warning: Unknown(): Invalid library (maybe not a PHP library) 'mysql.so' in Unknown on line 0

In /etc/php4/apache/php.ini it has a place for the directory and it is correct. So, I don't know why it does not like it.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill