dumb question about jigdo and i386 and AMD 64 versions of Etch......

Dear Debianists,

How much commonality exists between the i386 versions of Etch or Sarge and the AMD 64 version of Etch?

Let me explain what I mean a little more.

I have Sarge 3.1r4 on DVD.  I also have Sarge 3.1r3 on CD.  All of it.

As I understand it I could use jigdo to sniff through the DVD iso images (or the CDs) and pull out common packages with the RC1 i386 version of Etch while simultaneously downloading packages from the Debian mirror sites to synthesise either DVD or CD images of the Etch distribution.....

I am going to do this as an exercise to learn about jigdo and also to find the most efficient way of downloading a full distribution from the mirror sites.

I use a number of computers that are not connected to the internet so I need CDs and DVDs. But I want to become proficient enough with jigdo to reduce the antisocial load that I might place on the servers. This important to me.

I have been looking at a barebones box made by Novatech that is pretty cheap and contains an AMD 3000 Sempron chip and some RAM and an on board graphics card.

I might buy this box and add a DVD drive and a 40GB drive to it. You guys can lobby for extra RAM or other features that I should add to it or even that I should go for an AMD Athlon 64 chip instead. I am open to suggestions on this.

But the point is that as far as I understand it either an AMD Sempron 3000 chip or AMD Athlon 64 chip would run a 64 bit OS i.e. the Etch AMD64 version of the Debian OS.

Correct me if I am wrong.

If I wanted to make DVDs or CDs of the whole AMD64 Etch distribution would there be enough overlap of identical files between Sarge 3.1 i386 and the Etch AMD 64 bit distribution (or indeed the i386 version of Etch itself) to justify using it as a template for jigdo speed up the AMD64 bit download?

Comments appreciated.

By the way, here is the spec on the proposed AMD Sempron 3000 barebones box:

Motherboard
Form Factor	Micro ATX
Socket Type	754 Pin
Compatible Processors AMD Athlon 64 and Sempron, Socket 754 (754-pin), 1600MT/s
Cache Level 2 Size	128 KB
Chipset	SiS760GX + 964
Max FSB	1600MT/s
IDE Type	2 x ATA/133 + 2 x SATA/150 (w/ RAID) Supports RAID 0 and 1
Max Bus Speed	1600 MT/s
Graphics Integrated SiS high-performance graphics controller plus AGP 8X slot Supports up to 128MB shared system memory
Expansion Slots	1 x AGP 8X, 3 x PCI
Memory Single channel, unbuffered, 2.5V DDR266/333/400, (2) 184-pin DIMM sockets, max 2GB
Audio	Integrated, 5.1 channel AC97 (ADI)
LAN	Integrated Fast Ethernet (10/100) MAC + PHY (Realtek)
USB	Up to 8: 4 in rear I/O area + 2 internal 2-port headers: ver. 2.0
IO 1 x PS/2 keyboard 1 x PS/2 mouse 1 x RJ45 (LAN) 4 x USB 2.0 1 x line-in/line-out/mic (audio) 1 x parallel (SPP/ECP/EPP) 1 x COM (16550-compatible UART) 1 x VGA (integrated video)

Supplied Memory
Installed Memory	1x 512Mb 400Mhz PC3200 184pin
Free Slots	1 Free Slot

Processor
Interface Type	754 Pin
Clock Speed	1.8 GHz
Architecture Features 3DNow! Professional technology, streaming SIMD extensions 2, HyperTransport technology, integrated memory controller
Performance Index	3000+

Heatsink & Fan
Interface Type	3 Pin
Material	Alloy Copper Dot
Maximum CPU Support	AMD 4000 San Diego

Case
Chassis	Midi ATX Tower
Colour	Black & Silver
PSU Size	400Watt
Drive Bays 5.24"	x 4
Drive Bays 3.5"	x 6 (4 Hidden)
Dimensions	415mm(H) x 200mm(W) x 480mm(D)

Price £139.82 inc VAT (sales tax)

This compares with the AMD Athlon 64 barebones box:
Motherboard
Form Factor	ATX
Socket Type	939 Pin
Compatible Processors	AMD Athlon AMD Dual Core AMD Athlon FX 2000MT/s
Chipset	NVIDIA C51G
Max FSB	2000MT/s
IDE Type	2 x ATA/133 + 2 x SATA/300 (w/ RAID) Supports RAID 0 and 1
Max Bus Speed	2000 MT/s
Graphics	1 x PCIe x16
Expansion Slots	1 x PCI Express x16, 3 x PCI
Memory Dual channel, unbuffered, 1.8V DDR 400 (4) 184-pin DIMM sockets, max 4GB
Audio	Integrated, 5.1 channel AC97 (Realtek)
LAN	1 x 10/100 Realtek
USB	Up to 8: 4 in rear I/O area + 2 internal 2-port headers: ver. 2.0
IO	1 x PS/2 keyboard
1 x PS/2 mouse
1 x RJ45 (LAN)
4 x USB 2.0
1 x line-in/line-out/mic (audio)
1 x parallel (SPP/ECP/EPP)
1 x COM (16550-compatible UART)
1 x VGA (integrated video)

Supplied Memory
Installed Memory	1x 512Mb 400Mhz PC3200 184pin

Processor
Interface Type	939 Pin
Clock Speed	2.2 GHz
Cache Level 2 Size	512 KB
Architecture Features 3DNow! Professional technology, streaming SIMD extensions 2, HyperTransport technology, integrated memory controller
Performance Index	3500+

Heatsink & Fan
Interface Type	3 Pin
Material	Alloy Copper Dot
Maximum CPU Support	AMD 4000 San Diego

Case
Chassis	Midi ATX Tower
Colour	Black
PSU Size	400 Watt
Drive Bays 5.24"	x 4
Drive Bays 3.5"	x 6 (2 Hidden)
Dimensions	415mm(H) x 200mm(W) x 480mm(D)

Price £175.07

Your comments on this are appreciated as well.

I also installed the jigdo (GTK download manager), jigdo-file and jigit packages. It seems as though the jigdo download manager program isn't much use for doing this at present. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Michael Fothergill

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com