Re: How do I upgrade my stock kernel via aptitude?

On 12/18/2006 08:26 PM, Grok Mogger wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am running a 2.4.27 kernel that came with my sarge system, no fancy custom stuff. I recently got a Debian Security update telling me about these vulnerabilities in the 2.4 kernel, and so naturally I'd like to upgrade to the 2.4.27-10 kernel.

I'm imagining that since I'm just using a stock kernel, this should be as simple as "aptitude upgrade $KERNEL-PACKAGE". Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to figure out what $KERNEL-PACKAGE should be. "aptitude search $whatever" turns up all sorts of kernel related results, and I don't see an obvious one that makes sense. "aptitude upgrade" also doesn't seem to upgrade my kernel.

I hate to ask the list what seems like such a basic question, but I've spent quite a bit of time on this and am just getting more confused. Seems like it should be easy, but maybe not...?

Thanks in advance,
- GM

I typically just do something like this:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

In the case of the last kernel upgrade, the kernel was upgraded automatically for me.

--
paduille.4060.mumia.w@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/