apt-get dist-upgrade failes on ssh

Hi guys,

Going from sarge to etch, I'm getting this:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  ssh: Depends: openssh-client but it is not installed
       Depends: openssh-server but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

then:

# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  openssh-client openssh-server
Suggested packages:
  ssh-askpass xbase-clients rssh molly-guard
  openssh-client openssh-server
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
318 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/826kB of archives.
After unpacking 1966kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  openssh-client openssh-server
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 28861 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking openssh-client (from .../openssh-client_1%
3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb) ...
Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/ssh/moduli ...
Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/ssh/ssh_config ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-client_1%
3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/etc/ssh/ssh_config', which is also in package ssh
Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/ssh/moduli ...
Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/ssh/ssh_config ...
Unpacking openssh-server (from .../openssh-server_1%
3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb) ...
Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/default/ssh ...
Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/init.d/ssh ...
Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/pam.d/ssh ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%
3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/etc/init.d/ssh', which is also in package ssh
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/default/ssh ...
Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/init.d/ssh ...
Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/pam.d/ssh ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-client_1%3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb

if I try to dpkg -i those packages by hand, I get the same problem.

Has anyone seen this?  The result of the above is that apt-get
dist-upgrade aborted, leaving me with a non-functioning web/mail/dns
server.  I have gotten mysql, postfix, courier and bind working again,
but still having issues with apache2.  And of course my OS is now half
sarge and half unconfigured etch.

Thanks
Hans