Re: What is the best way to install Samba

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 11:32 -0800, schmity wrote:
> Ok I have my debian machine connected to a XP machine through a router.
>  I have made several attemps to install samba using apt-get and I have
> modified the smb.conf on several occations.  My first thought was to
> start with a fresh reinstall of Samba so that I could start with the
> original smb.conf file, but a simple apt-get remove -> apt-get install
> does not replace the original smb.conf file.  I am lost on this one.

apt-get install really is the simplest way to do it.  First though, to
purge the old config, do apt-get --purge remove samba smbclient smbfs
samba-common

And then apt-get install them again.  That's always been a pretty
painless process for me.

You might also want to install komba2 or LinNeighborhood as well, unless
you are going to have the shares on the XP box permanently mounted on
your Debian system (with the appropriate entries in /etc/fstab).