Re: apt-get dist-upgrade failes on ssh

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:26:35AM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Going from sarge to etch, I'm getting this:
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>   ssh: Depends: openssh-client but it is not installed
>        Depends: openssh-server but it is not installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>
> then:
>
> # apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
>   openssh-client openssh-server
> Suggested packages:
>   ssh-askpass xbase-clients rssh molly-guard
>   openssh-client openssh-server
> 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> 318 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/826kB of archives.
> After unpacking 1966kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   openssh-client openssh-server
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 28861 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking openssh-client (from .../openssh-client_1%
> 3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb) ...
> Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/ssh/moduli ...
> Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/ssh/ssh_config ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-client_1%
> 3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/etc/ssh/ssh_config', which is also in package ssh
> Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/ssh/moduli ...
> Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/ssh/ssh_config ...
> Unpacking openssh-server (from .../openssh-server_1%
> 3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb) ...
> Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/default/ssh ...
> Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/init.d/ssh ...
> Transferring ownership of conffile /etc/pam.d/ssh ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%
> 3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/etc/init.d/ssh', which is also in package ssh
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/default/ssh ...
> Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/init.d/ssh ...
> Aborting ownership transfer of conffile /etc/pam.d/ssh ...
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-client_1%3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%3a4.3p2-7_i386.deb
>
> if I try to dpkg -i those packages by hand, I get the same problem.
>
> Has anyone seen this?  The result of the above is that apt-get
> dist-upgrade aborted, leaving me with a non-functioning web/mail/dns
> server.  I have gotten mysql, postfix, courier and bind working again,
> but still having issues with apache2.  And of course my OS is now half
> sarge and half unconfigured etch.

two things I would try. purge all three offending packages, go through
the upgrade and then install them again. I *think* that even removing
ssh will not kill the current sessions (other posters advice about
telnet is probably a good one).

-or-

use dpkg with --force-all

might help. good luck. hey! maybe you'll get to take trip ;)