Re: if I were a newbie how would I get sound?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:05:14AM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

> I know they're connected since I assembled the computer.  The sound is
> integral to the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB: (from the MB manual)
>
> 	SoundMAX ADI AD1988B 8-channel CODEC
> 	Supports Jack Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-Streaming, and
> 		Jack-Retasking Technology.
> 	Optical and Coaxial S/PDIF Out interfaces.
>
> This is all goblygook to me; my current box has a SB16.

likewise to me. But the reason I ask -- I had a (fairly recent
motherboard) that I used for my mythtv box. So its all set up and
running great, but I have no sound. I play with drivers, different
outputs, etc etc etc to no avail. hours on mailing lists--
nothing. Turns out the (according to the manual) jumper that activates
the rear jacks is installed at the factory, but mine wasn't. On my
particular MB, the rear jacks only worked if there were front jacks
installed, OR a jumper where the front jacks go. Took me literally
hours to figure this out. It was one line buried in the manual that
happened to mention this jumper came already installed and had to be
removed to use front jacks... so okay, you know they are hooked up,
but I'm only suggesting you run through all that stuff one more time
and make sure it hooked up right. It'll only take a minute and save
you potentially hours of other crap.

> The CM-Stacker case connectors for the front-panel sound jack can use
> either Azailia HD audio or AC97 and the MB is the same, selected within
> the bios.  I have it set for the HD audio (since I don't know any better
> and figured HD is a good thing).  I can try switching this over to AC97.

well, it's certainly worth a try. remember to only change one thing at
a time so you know what the cause was...

> I have poked around aptitude and have selected alsa-player-common,
> alsa-player-text, and gnome-alsamixer.

what do you get from lsmod | grep snd ?