Re: if I were a newbie how would I get sound?

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 11:56:28PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:

[...]

> Yesterday I downloaded xorg.  Today I downloaded some apps (I'm on very
> slow dialup at 1.5-2.5 KB/s) and alsa.  Tomorrow I'll get something that
> will make a sound.  I ran alsaconf which is supposed to get things set
> up and raise default (0) mixer levels.  I then played speaker-test and
> got nothing out of the headphone jack on the front of the computer.  I
> don't have speakers.  Once I get everything I need downloaded then I'll
> poke around a bit.  Right now I'd just like to listen to a CD.  Later,
> I'd like to listen to radio shows I missed on cbc.ca.

well, first thing... do you know the front jacks are connected? they
sometimes aren't. also check to see if the sound modules are inserted
(lsmod | grep snd). I usually do sound early on and it generally seems
to just work. I do a find / -name \*wav which finds some of the built
in system sounds and then do an alsaplayer <results from find>. look
in your mixer, maybe you have a seperate volume control for
headphones?