Re: Errors while playing video-DVD

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 19:09 +0100, Bernd Kloss wrote:
> Etch 2.6.18-3-k7
> w32codecs installed
> KDE 3.5.5
> Kaffeine 0.8.3 or mplayer
> LG-DVD-RW
> ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
> 2GHz, 512 MB
>
> Hello,
>
> while playing commercial videos the software crashes
>
> kaffeine: sigsev
> no debugging symbols found)
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1"
>
> mplayer:
> too many video packets in buffer
>
> Is it possibly
> a software bug in the libs or
> miscalibrated software or
> insufficient graphics-memory?

Is mplayer set up to use accelerated video output? From the terminal,
this i mplayer -vo xv.

Generally, even on a slow system MPlayer can be used with the -framedrop
and -hardframedrop options. But I don't think this should be necessary
in your case.

Make sure that DMA is turned on for your DVD player by running hdparm.
hdparm /dev/dvd

Look for this line,
using_dma    =  1 (on)

You can also check your system for unusually high CPU usage when playing
back movies, and for any error messages when reading discs (using
dmesg).

Finally, you could rip a DVD to the harddrive (using vobcopy) and play
it with MPlayer using -dvd-device to make sure that this isn't something
that your problem isn't the DVD player.

> Is there a way to read out the size of the memory of the video-card?
> I tried to with hwinfo, but did not find any hints.

Try look in the log file for Xorg. Typically in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Look for something like this:
(--) RADEON(0): Mapped VideoRAM: 131072 kByte (128 bit DDR SDRAM)

Hope this helps,

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson