Re: gmplayer up the creek for DVDs

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 14:30 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
> mplayer is working pretty well on my system with DVDs, but gmplayer is a disaster.
>
> My main problems (which are fine when run from the comand line) are:
>
> - the aspect ratio is wrong (the pic is too tall)
>
> - choosing the play button or 'play' from the menu plays the intro splash, not
> the whole dvd and I can't find a way to do that
>

> I completely de-installed them both to eliminate any old config I might have
> had, and re-installed, but that had no effect.

How? apt-get remove leaves all config files on the system, using apt-get
purge will delete them. Any configuration files in you home directory is
never removed.

gmplayer seems to have a different configuration file than mplayer,
maybe the video output is different between the two and that's why the
aspect ratio is wrong?

> There is also no menu display - i presume this is just not an mplayer feature.
> Does any linux dvd player do that? I saw an old old message from 2001 saying
> that this feature didn't exist, but figured it might have been implemented since
> then.

Not supported by MPlayer, see
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/faq.html#id2540485

Try any player based on Xine (totem-xine, xine-ui etc.), or
ogle/ogle-gui.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson