gmplayer up the creek for DVDs

mplayer is working pretty well on my system with DVDs, but gmplayer is a disaster.

My main problems (which are fine when run from the comand line) are:

- the aspect ratio is wrong (the pic is too tall)

- choosing the play button or 'play' from the menu plays the intro splash, not the whole dvd and I can't find a way to do that

I completely de-installed them both to eliminate any old config I might have had, and re-installed, but that had no effect.

There is also no menu display - i presume this is just not an mplayer feature. Does any linux dvd player do that? I saw an old old message from 2001 saying that this feature didn't exist, but figured it might have been implemented since then.

Thanks
Adam