Re: Changing cable modum to ADSL modum.

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 01:09:44PM -0600, John C wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a simple way for a windows-only user to change a computer's network settings from a cable modem to an ADSL modem.

I was under the impression that my granddaughter, who lives hundreds of miles from me, had a cable ISP. In an attempt to educate the next generation, I've sent her a computer fully loaded and configured with Etch. I used a netinstall through my home system's router (cable modem) with a manual IP address....not DHCP.

Oooops... I was wrong, their network connnection is through a ADSL modem.

I suspect that she could make the change using the Network administration tool of the Gnome network Settings, but since I'm not familiar with ADSL or with that tool, I'd rather not have her try without some confirmation.

If not that tool, perhaps dpkg-reconfigure <something> ?

I know that on my box, the following files at least need to change. Any others?

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/networks
/etc/networks/interfaces

I also suspect that I'll have to have her do a dpkg install of pppoe for the network administration tool to work. Is that true?

Thanks for any help.

Hi John,
from my experience, most ISP use a device that outputs plain ole
ethernet. My dsl service use a westell 6100. I'd suspect that it just
uses ethernet with no PPPOE. Which means, as you suspect, you just plug
it in and wait for the dhcp to connect. So IIRC the gnome desktop has a
tool to setup dhcp. Or else find someway to get /etc/network/interfaces
setup. (man interfaces for help).
Cheers,
Kev

Thanks,

I hope it's that easy...

I don't use gnome myself, but the gnome network tool looks fairly easy to use. I guess I'll know soon.