Re: Changing cable modum to ADSL modum.

Russell L. Harris wrote:
* Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> [061216 17:13]:
Hi John,
from my experience, most ISP use a device that outputs plain ole
ethernet. My dsl service use a westell 6100. I'd suspect that it just
uses ethernet with no PPPOE. Which means, as you suspect, you just plug
it in and wait for the dhcp to connect. So IIRC the gnome desktop has a
tool to setup dhcp. Or else find someway to get /etc/network/interfaces
setup. (man interfaces for help).

Here in Houston, SW Bell uses PPPoE, unless you pay extra.  Newer
modems can handle PPPoE; otherwise, PPPoE must be handled in software,
and is a nuisance.

I neglected to mention that SmoothWall also handles PPPoE, and can act
as a DHCP server for the LAN.

RLH

You really do like SmoothWall don't you Kevin.

It may be a wonderful program, but I don't see how it can help me unless I send her another computer as a firewall... :)

I'd rather not do that.
Thanks
John