Re: New hardware under Etch ?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 03:30:17PM +0100, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a system with 6 GB RAM, two AMD Opteron
> CPUs and an S-ATA HD. Will these components run under
> a default Debian Sarge. If so, where can I check that
> both CPUs are running? Will /proc/cpuinfo provide
> appropriate information?

Nice.

I doubt that Sarge will find your SATA drives; go with Etch.  Etch
should work.  Best way to know is boot the netinst.iso CD (or hd-media
USB stick), and proceed with the install up to the partitoner (just
don't do anything with the partitioner if you don't want to install).

The kernels for Etch come with SMP built-in.

I don't know about /proc/cpuinfo.  If you use top you can have it tell
you how busy each cpu (core) is.

Enjoy.

Doug.