Re: Debian NetInstall: Ethernet not found?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 10:42:23AM -0500, Mike Pobega wrote:
> Well I was trying to switch OSes from Ubuntu to Debian, and I figured that
> the NetInstall would be the best way to go. So I downloaded the .iso, burned
> it, and popped it into my laptop. I connected my laptop directly into my
> modem through it's Ethernet port, but when it got to the point where it
> checks my connection, it wasn't able to find my connection!
>
> I'm connected through LAN, and to my understanding LAN is always connected
> (No drivers needed, I thought). But apparently you do need drivers, so I
> decided to pop into Ubuntu's terminal and look for my Ethernet port. I
> found:
>
> 05:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Unknown
> device 8167 (rev 10)
>        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device 1345
>        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 185
>        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
>        Memory at fe8ffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>        Expansion ROM at 40000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>        Capabilities: <access denied>
>

> I figured that this meant that I would have to look for "Realtek" or
> something similar in the list of Ethernet drivers, but of course it wasn't
> on that list. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm completely
> missing something, but hopefully someone there can help me out!

others have pointed you to the right drivers. you may need to switch
to a vt in the install and manually install the modules.

or, since you've got a working ubuntu on the machine, check out
debootstrap, provided you've got the room to do it. You can use the
working net connection in ubuntu to bootstrap in a system and go from
there. If you keep the initial install pretty tight, you can dual boot
the two for a bit til you get it all worked out.

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs04.html.en