Re: Add hardware to an existing system

On 12/15/06, csanyipal <csanyipal@sks.co.yu> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 05:14:27PM +0000, kevin bailey wrote:

> Now I take it that during installation the hardware was detected and the
> various modules were selected and loaded.  How to I tell the system to load
> the new modules required?

Compile the new kernel with support for that new hardwear.

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

Kevin,

The hardware is detected during the boot process too and not only
during the installation, unless you've changed it manually.

Answering about the video card and dvd burner:

- Video card: Probably it will be properly detected and the kernel
module will be loaded, but you will still need to reconfigure your
Xorg if it uses a different chipset than the older card. You can
reconfigure the package xserver-xorg or simply edit /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
changing the Driver from the old to the new one.
- DVD burner: If you use GNOME and haven't installed the desktop
environment install gnomebaker package and have fun.

A lot of other kind of hardware will work 'out of the box' (eg: most
of usb tokens) and others will be detected but you will need install a
package or if we're replacing old hardware with new stuff change a
configuration file.

Suggestions are welcome.

regards,
-- stratus