Re: Add hardware to an existing system

On 12/15/06, Jacques Normand <jnormand@nerim.net> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:42:17PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> The hardware is detected during the boot process too and not only
> during the installation, unless you've changed it manually.
>
> Answering about the video card and dvd burner:
>
> - Video card: Probably it will be properly detected and the kernel
> module will be loaded, but you will still need to reconfigure your
> Xorg if it uses a different chipset than the older card. You can
> reconfigure the package xserver-xorg or simply edit /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
> changing the Driver from the old to the new one.
> - DVD burner: If you use GNOME and haven't installed the desktop
> environment install gnomebaker package and have fun.
>
> A lot of other kind of hardware will work 'out of the box' (eg: most
> of usb tokens) and others will be detected but you will need install a
> package or if we're replacing old hardware with new stuff change a
> configuration file.
>
> Suggestions are welcome.

While you are right, I see one special case. It is not the case here but
if you change your booting devices, you will need to rebuild the
initramfs. I am mainly speaking about adding a drive or controller which
change the ordering and name of the others.

You're right, thanks for pointing it out, but me as both user and
admin don't do that usually.

Btw, if you change your hard disk controller only (hardware raid?)
you're probably not a newcomer user. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy
figure out what's going on from the boot loader, kernel and the
whole system (read /etc/fstab at first) - but per filesystem id (or label)
boot and mount should be worked out for our next release, IMHO.

Adding a drive that changes the name from the original drive sounds
like a controller bug or kernel bug though.

regards,
-- stratus