Re: A market perspective on the impact of dunc-tanc

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 02:30:12AM +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 19:35 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > Have you seen this?[0]
> > > debian-desktop project has made for etch, etc. The design itself looks
> > > like something stuck way back in 1998. The newly created debian sites
> > > for debconf[1] by comparison looks modern and fresh.
> > Cheers,
> > Kev
> > [0] http://times.debian.net/
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes I have, and I think it's a really good start.
>
> However, the problem, as I see it, is that DebianTimes, and other sites,
> isn't accessible from www.debian.org. It seems that people find it
> easier to start new sites instead of extending, and keeping updated, the
> main Debian site. That's the one people see when they type in
> www.debian.org, or choose the first hit in a search engine.
>
> I would really like to see all the news, howto, message boards, planets,
> wiki and other interesting sites around the Debian project integrated to
> some degree with debian.org so people new to Debian more easily can get
> an overview and see the amazing activity going on.
Hi Sven,
IIRC someone related to the debian project 'holds' the debian.net domain
and it is used as a sort of 'staging' site before it joins debian.org.
The wiki at wiki.debian.org was on wiki.debian.net first. So since this
is a new project, the .net was used and I'd expect that if all goes
well, it will be added to .org.
Cheers,
Kev