Re: A market perspective on the impact of dunc-tanc

Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> How would YOU feel working hard for $0/mo while someone else gets paid
> (perhaps) $6,000/mo for working on the same project?

Just fine thank you.

When I do work as a free software volunteer, I do it because I enjoy it.
I typically enjoy it no less if someone else is paid to work on the same
project; I may even enjoy it _more_ if the resulting full-time attention
makes the project better.  Since a lot of very active free software
projects have both paid and volunteer programmers, I would guess that
many other people also have no problem with this issue.

I don't think this is particularly surprising -- it's been shown than
money is not the perfect motivator some people think it is; being a
volunteer and being an employee simply have different tradeoffs (a
volunteer has more freedom to do what he enjoys, when he wants; an
employee gives up some of that freedom for income).

Perhaps debian volunteers are more fragile than usual, I don't know.

[I'm not saying the dunc-tank project is producing useful results; maybe
it isn't...]

-Miles

--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]