Re: Replacing running kernel

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 12:42:23AM +0200, Sami Liedes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wondered if anyone can help me fix things. I think I might have
> misconfigured something.
>
> I clearly remember getting big warnings and a _question_ that allows
> me to break off when installing a kernel that replaces the currently
> running version. But nowadays when I upgrade packages (interactively
> from aptitude), it only _tells_ me that "going to replace running
> kernel, reboot soon". I want it to ask so I can say no.

If you used to get a question and now you don't, it could be how you
have debconf configured.  If you

	dpkg-reconfigure debconf

one of the questions you will be asked is if debconf should ask the same
questions each time a package is installed.  If you say no, then you
will only ever be asked once.  Personally, I have it always ask (it uses
your previous answer as the default).  It also may have to do with the
question-severity filter.  Unless you choose 'low', you miss many
mundane questions.  You can change this too by reconfiguring debconf.

> Specifically, it says before showing the "Bwahaha, I replaced your
> kernel, you need to reboot" dialog:
>
> Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64 2.6.18-7 (using .../linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64_2.6.18-8_amd64.deb) ...
> The directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-3-amd64 still exists. Continuing as directed.
> Done.

What you're seeing is that the new and old kernels are the same version.
Technically, installing any new kernel replaces the running version but
if the new and old differ, then you have two installed and appropriate
menu items in grub (and lilo I think).  The modules for each kernel go
into a directory in /lib/modules based on the name of the kernel
version.  If the new and old kernel are the same version, the new kernel
package will put its libs in the same directory.  You therefore can't
have two instances of the same kernel version installed.  The new is a
bug fix of the old.

> Where I can configure aptitude or something to not direct it to just
> continue?

I only use aptitude from the UI (not the command line).  When you tell
it to 'g' the first time, it will give you a list of what it wants to
do.  If you really don't want to upgrade your kernel you can remove it
from the list.

However, I don't understand your concern.  Unless you're changing kernel
versions (where you would end up with old and new installed together),
there should be no problems.  This is, after all, a design feature of
Debian.  I think that you should just let debian do its thing.  If it
says that you should reboot, then you should reboot asap.  I beleive the
issue is that, while the kernel file can be changed from old to new,
there is as yet no way to change the version of the kernel in memory
without rebooting.  Therefore, if anything happens in the system that
prompts a module insertion, the module files are for the new version not
the one in memory.

I hope this helps but if this seems unsatifactory, perhaps you could
explain your specific concern.

Doug.