Re: Replacing running kernel

Sami Liedes <sliedes@tcs.hut.fi>:

>  I wondered if anyone can help me fix things. I think I might have
>  misconfigured something.

You have not.

>  I clearly remember getting big warnings and a _question_ that allows
>  me to break off when installing a kernel that replaces the currently
>  running version. But nowadays when I upgrade packages (interactively
>  from aptitude), it only _tells_ me that "going to replace running
>  kernel, reboot soon". I want it to ask so I can say no.

No, you don't.  It's informing you of the situation.  You let it
upgrade the kernel.  By doing so, the machine has been left somewhat
in a state of limbo between the old and the new.  To action your
stated intention (upgrade the kernel), you now need to reboot.

Replacing a kernel is one of the very few reasons why any *nix box
needs to be rebooted, and it doesn't happen often.  Suck it up.  :-)

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html